The Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/Sequencer presents itself at first glance as a nod to the Serge Programmer from the 70s, yet it quickly becomes evident that this Eurorack module is a unique beast all its own. Its ability to serve as a 4x4, 2x8, or a 2x16 cv channel system by the flip of a front panel switch means it's inherently versatile, underlined by the room for expansion via a 10pin cable through the back panel – excellent for building a larger system that accommodates even the most intricate setups.
One aspect that truly shines in the Leo Leo Matrix is the degree of control it offers. For every stage, you have four modifications at your disposal: skip, stop, active, and mute. The ability to manipulate each stage in such a way, in both ascending and descending directions, unearths a multitude of creative possibilities. From the most precise, calculated compositions to the most generative and random soundscapes, the Leo Leo caters to all types of electronic musicians.
Variations in operating modes add another layer of depth to this module. With three clock inputs available – Left, Right, Down – users get a diverse selection of sequencing power. Employ a solid, steady rhythm with the standard Left or Right inputs, or dive into unexpected rhythmic variations and free-form explorations using the Down mode. What's more, the Leo Leo also equips manual button triggers for each step, offering an intuitive, hands-on feel to sequencing.
Where the Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix truly comes into its own is in the adaptive nature of its design philosophy. It welcomes both structured and generative musics, going from ordered to chaotic in just a turn of a knob. Whether you prefer setting a strict sequence and modify it over the course of a track, or enjoy diving into a generative framework where randomness creates unique musical expressions, the Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/ Sequencer ensures that your creative impulses are never stifled.
To summarise, the Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/Sequencer goes beyond being a typical sequencer. It merges the pioneering functionality of a bygone analog era with modern, user-friendly controls and adaptability. This combination empowers users to wander off the beaten path, exploring new sonic textures and patterns while maintaining an intuitive understanding of their musical creation process. Regardless of where you see your music in the spectrum of structured to generative, the Leo Leo has the potential to level up your rack, and it's all available at Siam Modular. Perfect for both novice and seasoned modular enthusiasts, it's one Eurorack module you'll want to explore.
In your eurorack setup, you can start by using the Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/Sequencer for basic sequencing tasks by sending a clock signal to the "Left" input. Connect a CV source to one of the channels and set the step values using the controls. You can then use the manual trigger buttons to advance through each step and hear how the sequence unfolds. Experiment with muting and activating steps to create dynamic patterns. With practice, you can delve deeper into its advanced features and unlock the full potential of this powerful module.
Intermediate-Level Usage Example:
Let's dive into a more advanced patch utilizing the versatile Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/Sequencer. In this setup, we will explore how to create evolving melodic sequences with intricate modulation patterns.
- Begin by patching the CV and Gate outputs of the Voxmachina Leo Leo to your chosen oscillators and envelopes in your Eurorack system.
- Set the clock input to the 'Right' setting for a steady tempo sequence. This will serve as the foundation for our evolving melody.
- Utilize the 'Skip' and 'Stop' functions to create variation within your sequence. By selectively muting certain stages or pausing the sequence at specific points, you can introduce a sense of unpredictability and movement to your music.
- Experiment with the cascading functionality by connecting multiple Voxmachina Leo Leo units via the 10-pin cable on the back panel. This allows for expanded sequencing capabilities and opens up a world of creative possibilities.
- Activate the manual button triggers for individual steps to add manual control over the sequence. This tactile approach can introduce human-like fluctuations and expressiveness to your sequences.
By combining these advanced features of the Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/Sequencer, you can craft dynamic and evolving sequences that push the boundaries of traditional linear sequencing. Embrace experimentation and let your creativity soar with this innovative Eurorack module.
To demonstrate the unparalleled creative potential of the Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/Sequencer, let's explore a cutting-edge patch scenario utilizing its advanced features:
Patch Scenario: "Generative Ambience with Cascading Channels"
- Utilize the Leo Leo Matrix Programmer in a 2x8 configuration, allowing for intricate modulation possibilities across multiple channels.
- Set the clock input to "Right" for a steady rhythmic foundation, ensuring coherence within the evolving composition.
- Assign different parameters, such as filter cutoff and oscillator pitch, to each of the eight CV channels to introduce dynamic timbral shifts.
- Activate the cascading mode by linking two Leo Leo modules via the rear panel, expanding the matrix to 2x16 channels of modulation possibilities.
- Implement manual button triggers for selected steps to introduce sporadic elements into the generative sequence, adding an element of unpredictability to the ambient soundscape.
- Experiment with the "stop" and "skip" functions to create pauses and variations within the sequence, adding depth and complexity to the sonic landscape.
- Engage the mute function selectively across channels to highlight specific elements and create evolving sonic textures over time.
By embracing the multifaceted capabilities of the Voxmachina Leo Leo Matrix Programmer/Sequencer in this patch scenario, electronic musicians can unlock a realm of limitless creative expression and sculpt intricate soundscapes that push the boundaries of modular synthesis.